Mould and mildew are two very common problems within areas of the home which may be subject to damp conditions. Places such as the bathroom, basement and the loft are all likely places that mould and mildew would be found especially with the likeliness of dampness being combined with condensation and not enough ventilation.
Mould is not only a nightmare because of the design of your home but it can also cause medical issues if it is not treated. Yes you may be able to hide mould and mildew for a short amount of time by simply painting over it but you won’t be getting rid of the problem. In fact unless the mould spores are killed it will not be your last meeting with it.
Today I will focus on how to treat mould and mildew along with showing you how to redecorate with the stains on your walls.
Killing the mould spores
You will be able to find various mould and mildew chemical sprays available some of which will be more effectiveness and stronger than others. You will be able to purchase these from your local DIY store and even supermarkets.
Follow the instructions that come with your chemical product from start to finish and be sure to wear protection, after all some of these chemicals can be very nasty. I would advise you wear safety gloves along with some eye protector glasses too. Ventilation is one of the most underrated pieces of help you can get, the better ventilated a room is the easier your chemical product will work.
Household bleach a good option
One of the most effective ways to get rid of mould or mildew is to simply use diluted bleach; a mixture of one cup of bleach along with a litre of water is a very effective and affordable way to kill the mould and mildew.
To kill the mould/mildew follow these easy steps:
- First of all ensure you are wearing your safety equipment (gloves and eye protection).
- Open all windows in the room and then begin to wipe down the infected walls/ceiling with your diluted bleach solution.
- Leave the solution on the wall for an hour and then rinse off with a clean cloth and a bowl of lukewarm soapy water.
- If it is possible try and introduce some portable heat into the room, for example use a portable heater and turn your radiators on in order to help the wall dry. This will also help prevent any missed spores from continuing to grow.
Two of the best natural mould treatments
White vinegar – White vinegar is a very effective treatment for mildew and mould; it can kill roughly 85% of all moulds. Although there is an obvious problem with using white vinegar and that is the smell. However it is worth noting that the smell will only last for a few days.
You can dilute white vinegar if you would prefer 2 table spoons to one cup of water or simply spray the undiluted substance on the infected area. Leave the solution on for a day and then wipe off with soapy warm water.
Tea Tree Oil – This is one of the most effective and also most affordable ways to kill mould spores in your home and stop them from returning. Tea tree oil actually kills 100% of mould spores it comes into contact with, even if it has been diluted with water. It is worth noting that tea tree oil does have a fairly strong smell, although not an unpleasant one; but just like the bleach this will deteriorate over a few days.
The way to use tea tree oil to kill mould and mildew in your homes is simply placer to table spoons of concentrated oil in a mixture with two cups of water. Combine the mixture in a spray bottle, shake very well and then spray on all affected areas. You should then leave the mixture on the treated areas for a day or two; finally wipe the wall clean with a warm soapy mixture.
Preventing the existence of mould and mildew
Like I mentioned earlier in this article mould and mildew are usually a symptom of a poorly ventilated room which is damp. If you can only find one small patch of mould on one wall then you should ensure that there is not an obvious cause in the surrounding areas. Things such as a leaking drain pipe, gutter or even a leaky pipe. Any problems should be fixed before you treat the mould or mildew.
There are particular rooms in the home that are more likely to get damp then others, such as the bathroom. Ensuring ventilation is used on a regular day to day basis will help prevent mould growing. Always open a window after a shower or bath and by a rule you should have your window open for an hour a day. Obviously if you are at work you may be worried about your homes security; why not look into purchasing a cheap extractor fan to keep the room ventilated.
Covering and redecorating on mould stains
Before you begin to cover areas that have been subject to mould you need to ensure you have used one of the treatments I have spoken about above; along with this ensure the walls you are redecorating have been thoroughly washed down after the treatment to stop any repercussions of process.
Painting over a once affect area is the best solution; however I wouldn’t advise using your typical emulsion, in fact look to purchase a fungicidal paint. This will help to prevent mould reoccurring although it is worth mentioning it won’t prevent mould in very poorly ventilated and very damp rooms. You can purchase this sort of paint in small tins, perfect for covering one specific are in which mould once grew.
However if you are looking to repaint a full wall or room why not look to purchase anti-mould paint? It will be more expensive than your everyday emulsion but it does a great job of preventing mould from appearing again in your home.
Some homeowners may want to re-wallpaper a specific area of your room in which mould once lived; if this is the case I would advise painting over the area first with anti-mould paint. However if you don’t wish to do this then you need to look into purchasing a wallpaper paste that includes a fungicidal treatment within it.
If you are looking to work out which type of mould you have in your home then take a look at this helpful article.