Popular kitchen cupboard hinges explained
By: Gareth Jones
Concealed Hinges are used in every kitchen cupboard, but most people don’t know that unfortunately there is a huge choice of types and sizes for all varieties of uses, and before replacing a hinge in your kitchen you need to specifically identify the one you will need.
The 5 types of hinges used commonly in kitchens across the UK:
Full Overlay Concealed Hinge
– This style of hinge is used by most kitchen manufacturers as it completely hides/conceals the cabinet that the doors are attached to. It will have a straight arm when you look at it and it allows the cupboard door edge to be completely in line with the edge of the cabinet. It is fully adjustable using 3 little screws which will finely adjust all the angles and allow the door frame to be totally concealed and fit together snuggly.
Half Overlay Concealed Hinge
– Very similar to the full overlay hinge, but it allows for a door to be mounted either side of a central carcass panel. In comparison to the straight full overlay hinge, the half overlay will have a bend in the arm which allows the cupboard door edge to cover half the side panel, leaving the other half exposed. This specific type of hinge is often used in bedroom wardrobes as well as in kitchens.
Inset Concealed Hinge
– This style of hinge is visually very different to the first 2 as it will have a large crank in the arm and this allows the cupboard door to be inset, or set inside, the cabinet frame showing the outer edge of the cupboard fully. You normally find these hinges on traditional solid wood furniture as they nicely expose the wooden frame around the cupboard door. You also find these hinge used with glass doors like kitchen display cabinets.
Blind Corner Hinge
– This style of hinge is used when there is no 90° cabinet end panel to fix to but only an inline fascia. A minimum distance of 70mm is required from the inside edge of the fascia to fix the mounting plate and hinge to.
Bi-Fold Corner Hinge
– This style of hinge is used for double door corner cabinets where the first door is attached the cabinet side panel with a 170° hinge and the second door is attached to the first door with a Bi-Fold hinge. It is the ideal solution for Kitchen corner cabinets fitted with Carousels