There’s hours of fun to be had with a playhouse. Your children will have an outdoor den that can be decorated however they wish! If your unused shed is in good condition, there’s nothing stopping you from transforming it into their own little paradise and if your shed is unsuitable, why not build a brand new playhouse for them? Playhouses are considered ‘permitted developments’ so they don’t need planning permission and this way you can decide the best location for it.
Playhouses encourage your little ones to play outside and offer shelter when the weather turns. Allowing them to personalize their own space makes it a precious memory and gives them a sense of independence. We’ve rounded up the top tips to consider when converting your shed into an awesome playden!
For the Tots:
- Add Windows for light. You can also make windows safer for little ones by installing our Window Restrictors.
- Personalize the Door - For smaller children, you could add a handle that’s closer to their height. Options include Sliding Bars, Tee Hinges and Locks.
- To make the floor a safe play area, you can lay down Comfy Carpeting or laminate the floor. You can often buy off cuts and roll ends from your local carpet shop for a very small cost.
- Kit the house out with Mini Furniture such as shelving, a mini set of drawers or cupboards to stow away their toys, games and books. See our wide range of Hinges, Stays and Runners
For the Bigger Children:
- For the older ones, sanding down the walls and adding lick of paint should be suitable enough. However if you’re keen to add stability or insulation, Wall Coverings are a great option. They will also support shelving and hanging decorations (See Shelving, Hook and Eyes)
- We recommend adding Ventilation to your wooden playhouse. Ventilation keeps the air fresh for your kids and stops mold from damaging the playhouse. (Browse our range of Plastic Vents).